Yesterday the world lost Maya Angelou. For some of us, what comes to mind is Oprah’s ‘mum,’ Tyler Perry’s muse and Whoopi Goldberg’s mentor amongst others. To me, she was a graceful, legendary, PHENOMENAL woman with a beautiful smile. Her life was an inspiration and I am sharing some of my favourite quotes here to honor her.
- Try to be a rainbow in somebody’s cloud.
- If you don’t like something, change it, if you can’t change it, change your attitude about it.
- The love of family, the love of one person can heal. It heals the scars left by a larger society. A massive powerful society.
- History despite its wrenching pain cannot be unlived but if faced with courage need not be lived again.
- Love recognizes no barrier. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.
- If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don’t be surly at home and then go into the streets grinning ‘Good Morning’ at total strangers.
- Nothing will work unless you do.
- Surviving is important but thriving is elegant
- It is one of the greatest gifts you can give to yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
- We may encounter many defeats but we must never be defeated.
- If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
- We can learn to see each other and see ourselves in each other and recognize that human beings are more alike than we are unalike.
- We have to confront ourselves. Do we like what we see in the mirror? And according to our light, according to our courage, we will have to say yea or nay…and rise.
Rest in Peace Maya Angelou.
Image Credits: Google Images